Welcome


My name is Gina and I would like to welcome you to my blog!

On this blog, I not only share the dietary and lifestyle approach which reversed my metabolic disease and achieved my weight loss, but I also debunk many misconceptions surrounding obesity and its treatment.

I am 5'5" and was weighing 300 lbs., at my heaviest. I lost a total of 180 lbs. I went through several phases of low carbohydrate dieting, until I found what worked best and that is what I share on this blog. Once on a carbohydrate restricted diet, along with intermittent fasting, I dropped all of the weight in a little over two years time.

My weight loss was achieved without any kind of surgery, bariatric or cosmetic. I also did not take any weight loss medications or supplements. I did not use any weight loss program. This weight loss was solely the result of a very low carbohydrate, whole foods based diet, along with daily intermittent fasting and exercise.

I allow discussions in the comments section of each post, but be advised that any inappropriate or off-topic comment will not be approved.

There are years worth of content on this blog, so I suggest you use Labels to easily find the information you are looking for. If what you are looking for is not under Labels, enter it into the Search Bar.

Mar 19, 2017

No Such Thing As Healthy

1. I sometimes like to eat Chobani Zero Sugar yogurts. Is this a "healthy" option?

As long as it doesn't kill or maim you, it’s technically "healthy". This is why I don't like the "healthy" description for individual food items. Your diet must be overall healthy. The only way that can be done is through the right macronutrient combination of low carbohydrate, moderate fat and adequate protein. Nothing else is healthy. It doesn't matter what diet you chose to follow, the above macronutrient combination should not change.

Labeling individual foods as "healthy" does not curb obesity because it causes people to lower their guard and make foolish decisions. Food manufacturers use labels with gimmicky tag lines such as "High In Protein", "Low In Fat", "No Added Sugar" or "Sugar Free". All of these descriptions are meaningless because even when something doesn't necessarily hurt you, that doesn't mean it will absolutely help you. Yet, they are labeling it as if it will. But if it’s not part of the solution, then it's part of the problem by default.

Don't be duped by labels. Nothing can help you unless the food label reads "Increases Leptin Expression" or "Improves Insulin Sensitivity". Of course no food will be labeled that way because no food can do either.

If eating this yogurt prevents you from eating a yogurt with added sugar, then kudos. But that's really all it’s doing. It’s just preventing you from consuming something worse. It won’t help you lose weight and it won’t improve your metabolism. You need to do a lot more than just swap out sugar foods for “sugar free” foods to do that.

You also have to be careful how you eat these type of foods. That is really what makes these items obesogenic, regardless of their ingredients. This yogurt is obviously not a meal. You would starve. This automatically makes it a "snack". Snacks are not part of any healthy diet. So make sure that this item is part of your main meal, not a meal in of itself or a snack between meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment