Welcome


My name is Gina and I would like to welcome you to my blog!

On this blog, I not only share the dietary and lifestyle approach which reversed my metabolic disease and achieved my weight loss, but I also debunk many misconceptions surrounding obesity and its treatment.

I am 5'5" and was weighing 300 lbs., at my heaviest. I lost a total of 180 lbs. I went through several phases of low carbohydrate dieting, until I found what worked best and that is what I share on this blog. Once on a carbohydrate restricted diet, along with intermittent fasting, I dropped all of the weight in a little over two years time.

My weight loss was achieved without any kind of surgery, bariatric or cosmetic. I also did not take any weight loss medications or supplements. I did not use any weight loss program. This weight loss was solely the result of a very low carbohydrate, whole foods based diet, along with daily intermittent fasting and exercise.

I allow discussions in the comments section of each post, but be advised that any inappropriate or off-topic comment will not be approved.

There are years worth of content on this blog, so I suggest you use Labels to easily find the information you are looking for. If what you are looking for is not under Labels, enter it into the Search Bar.

Feb 27, 2023

Six common beliefs addressed, Part 216 - Avocado Edition

1. I have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and last week I included an avocado with my meals. The first day, I was fine but by the end of the week, my IBS had flared up and I had terrible acid reflux, gas pain and bloating. I figured out it was the avocado and dropped it, but it still took several weeks before my digestion went back to normal. Every low carb site, I have been too, praises avocados, so I thought I was doing the right thing by eating them when they went on sale. I regret having done it. I had my IBS so well controlled up to that point. 

I usually stay away from answering questions about medical conditions, but I will make an exception here. I get a lot of these questions since people experience digestion issues when changing their diet.

Avocados have become quite trendy. There are avocado plushies at the check out. They are being added to everything on the menu and have become the excuse for a meal to cost double what it used to just because they're included. They even have avocado ice cream now.

Avocados fit in line with the fad versions of "keto" and "low carb" diets, found online, while also pleasing vegan/vegetarian proponents. The only ones left out of the loop are low fat/calories in, calories out (CICO) protocols, since avocados are high in both fat and calories, but both of these diets have been pretty much irrelevant for a while now. This means you will see avocados being peddled aggressively in modern diet circles everywhere. It seems like you can't get away from them. Well, my advice is to not fall into the avocado trap. It's BS.

People have to learn to respect plants. I know they are usually portrayed as peacefully meek creatures that are completely benign and simply sit quietly in your garden. Don't let them fool you, they are everything but. I keep all plant foods at arms-length and am always leery of their supposed "benefits" because the reality is that you can acquire the same benefits with added protein, in a more bio-available form and without the included risks, from animal-based foods.

 
 
Plants are actually quite "toxic". Their toxicity won't kill you unless you have a severe allergy, like a peanut allergy, or you eat a known poisonous plant, like certain mushrooms or flowers, but they can still cause digestive and immunological distress, to varying degrees, depending on the person's tolerance.
  • Plant poisons, or phytotoxins, comprise a vast range of biologically active chemical substances, and a large group of miscellaneous compounds, whose chemical structure has not yet been determined. 
  • Plant proteins are particularly immuno-inflammatory, aside from being completely useless. These proteins also mimic and/or hide the real proteins that your body actually needs, keeping you deficient or causing disease. 
  • Plants can also suppress your ability to extract nutrients. 
  • Plant fats are problematic as they are too high in linoleic acid, the primary fatty acid found in polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), which cause adverse health effects when found in high concentrations in the body. Plants are also high in Omega 3 EPA which competes with Omega 3 DHA when it is low in the diet.

As you can see, plants contain powerful compounds that can impact your health. This is why plants have been used in medicine forever. In fact, plants are responsible for the most powerful medicines we have, from antibiotics to pain relievers to psychedelics. Their compounds are even used in warfare.

Plants have evolved to be at war with animals, bacteria and viruses, including other plants. Their ability to have been able to fight them all off, is why they are still around today. A plant's only defense mechanism is the chemicals they produce because unless they are Groot, they cannot get up and fight for survival like animals. They don't have working limbs or mobility and they don't even have an immune system, like animals do. Instead, they fight off microbes in ingenious different ways, depending on the species. You should read up on it. It's quite interesting. But keep in mind, that you are made of bacteria, so you never want to intake things that can fight you off.

It is this very toxicity that makes plants "good", in small doses. They cause a Hormetic stress in the body that helps your immune system stay robust, sort of like honey. Just remember that the dose makes the poison.

Avocados contain too much fiber for our hydrochloric digestive system. For some people, with existing digestive issues, the effect can be quite severe. Most of us have heard the little childhood jingle that goes something like this - "Beans, beans the magical fruit, the more you eat them the more you toot." Well, there is a similar jingle in Spanish about avocados. Avocados like beans are known for causing digestive distress. In fact, when you cut into one notice the earthy/perfume smell it releases. It is not pleasant. An avocado tree seed is in there and you are disturbing it before it's ripe enough to produce a seedling. It's going to make you remember to leave it alone next time you come across it by making you toot for days.

Hopefully, your tooting will attract a mountain lion or wolf so the avocado tree doesn't have to worry about you again and your bones and blood can fertilize its surrounding soil for more trees. Plants love eating meat though the soil so yes, plants want to eat you. If they could ever release a gas, that would kill us all, they would. Then "the meek shall inherit the earth".

Stay away from avocados. They aren't needed. You cannot live off of them, as they can never be a metabolically healthy main meal nor do they have adequate protein, so they will forever be a garnish or add-on. You can do without either. 

Sorry Groot, but I'm on to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment