Welcome


My name is Gina and I would like to welcome you to my blog!

On this blog, I not only share the dietary and lifestyle approach which reversed my metabolic disease and achieved my weight loss, but I also debunk many misconceptions surrounding obesity and its treatment.

I am 5'5" and was weighing 300 lbs., at my heaviest. I lost a total of 180 lbs. I went through several phases of low carbohydrate dieting, until I found what worked best and that is what I share on this blog. Once on a carbohydrate restricted diet, along with intermittent fasting, I dropped all of the weight in a little over two years time.

My weight loss was achieved without any kind of surgery, bariatric or cosmetic. I also did not take any weight loss medications or supplements. I did not use any weight loss program. This weight loss was solely the result of a very low carbohydrate, whole foods based diet, along with daily intermittent fasting and exercise.

I allow discussions in the comments section of each post, but be advised that any inappropriate or off-topic comment will not be approved.

There are years worth of content on this blog, so I suggest you use Labels to easily find the information you are looking for. If what you are looking for is not under Labels, enter it into the Search Bar.

Nov 13, 2023

Six common beliefs addressed, Part 253 - Nut Butter Edition

1. I love nut butter and use it often for different recipes. Since I went low carb, I only buy "natural" nut butter with no added fat or sugar. I just hate having to deal with the oil separation. It is driving me nuts, no pun intended. I have seen several video hacks that use electric mixers and blenders to deal with this but it is still annoying, time consuming and hard work. The clean up is terrible. I just want to open a bottle and use the darn nut butter without having to make it a project. I know this is a long shot but would you have any tricks to deal with this?

Yes. Buy real nut butter. People need to become more educated when it comes to their food because they make common mistakes like this.

A lot of people are not aware of this but the nut butters that are labeled "natural" are not really natural at all. That is just another manufacturer lie and people have bought into it hook, line and sinker. Oil separation is not natural. It's actually the result of making nut butter using dry roasted nuts. Dry roasted nuts are full of oxidized oils and high histamine. This is why nuts trigger so many allergies. Histamine is also implicated in blood glucose dysregulation.

Manufacturers have tried many different ways to gaslight their customers into buying a higher priced item that's made using the same cheap dry roasted nuts as their regular product. They have tried mixing added fats (palm oil) into their nut butters and then labeling it "No Stir". They have insisted that the oil separation is the "completely normal consequence of going natural" but that's a lie. A nut butter that does not contain added fats, salt or sugar is not "natural". It just simply has no added ingredients.

The only truly natural nut butter is made from raw nuts. Raw nut butter does not have any oil separation and it's creamy and smooth right out of the bottle with no mixing or stirring required. The only caveat is that raw nut butter is not cheap. Artisana makes various nut butters from raw nuts and you can find their products at Whole Foods and a few other markets. You can also order it on Amazon. Cheaper alternatives can be found at Trader Joe's and Fresh Market. Both these stores have raw store-brand nut butter.

So forget the "natural" label. Natural means nothing. Everything in the market is natural. It's naturally there. When buying good quality nut products, you have to look for the raw label.

No comments:

Post a Comment