Welcome


My name is Gina and I would like to welcome you to my blog!

On this blog, I not only share the dietary and lifestyle approach which reversed my metabolic disease and achieved my weight loss, but I also debunk many misconceptions surrounding obesity and its treatment.

I am 5'5" and was weighing 300 lbs., at my heaviest. I lost a total of 180 lbs. I went through several phases of low carbohydrate dieting, until I found what worked best and that is what I share on this blog. Once on a carbohydrate restricted diet, along with intermittent fasting, I dropped all of the weight in a little over two years time.

My weight loss was achieved without any kind of surgery, bariatric or cosmetic. I also did not take any weight loss medications or supplements. I did not use any weight loss program. This weight loss was solely the result of a very low carbohydrate, whole foods based diet, along with daily intermittent fasting and exercise.

I allow discussions in the comments section of each post, but be advised that any inappropriate or off-topic comment will not be approved.

There are years worth of content on this blog, so I suggest you use Labels to easily find the information you are looking for. If what you are looking for is not under Labels, enter it into the Search Bar.

Oct 31, 2016

Chicken Fried Steak

When you are following a carbohydrate restricted diet, one of the main problems is finding a medium you can "bread" meats with.

I do not "bread" often, but when I do, I want something that works. Coconut flour becomes too soggy and separates. Almond flour is too heavy and it's difficult to get a nice crispy texture. All other flour blends and alternatives have grains or starches mixed in. After a lot of trial and error, and even having a time when I just gave up on breading at all, I found the perfect breading agent - pork rinds.

Pork rinds stick perfectly to the meat, without falling apart. They also have the crispy texture you're looking for in breading. They taste great and best of all, they are zero carb.

The most important thing to remember when using pork rinds is that quality is of the utmost importance. You need to find pork rinds that do not contain hydrogenated oils. I only buy Epic brand pork rinds. They are made traditionally with organic, non-GMO, pastured, and antibiotic free pork. They are relatively inexpensive and can be found in most grocery stores except Walmart. Always check the ingredients for added sugar. They have several varieties, and as of this writing, the only ones with no added sugar are their Salt and Pepper and Barbecue flavors.

Just open the package and put the pork rinds in a quart sized zipper bag. Pound them with a meat tenderizer until they become like flour. Now you can bread your meats by dipping them in egg and then into the pork rinds.

I like making sure my skillet is preheated with plenty of ghee and some avocado oil, before I gently put the breaded meat in for frying.

Below is a pork rind "breaded"  chicken breast with zucchini and a side salad of tomato and olives. Zucchini is one of the handful of vegetables that do not cause me any digestive discomfort. I like to pan fry the zucchini in butter with salt, pepper, garlic powder and dried parsley flakes.

You can use pork rinds for any recipe that calls for bread crumbs of any kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment